The Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki was inaugurated on May 13th 2001. It was established by the local Jewish Community to keep the memory of the long Jewish presence in the city. Besides its permanent exhibition and the maintenance of its collections, the Museum organises temporary exhibitions, seminars for school teachers, and scholarly conferences.
The Museum is housed in an old building, a property of the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki. It is one of the few buildings in the old city which survived the great fire of 1917. It was restored in the late 1990s and since 2001 three wings of it were successively given to the Museum (extensions: 2009 and 2019).