In 1787, Michel David and Coppel Samuel purchased a building on Südwall, which served as a synagogue and school from 1788 to 1872. The residences of the Jews were scattered throughout the city, and several of the residential buildings were already owned by Jews. Jews also lived in the towns of Gräfrath and Wald, which belonged to the administrative district of Solingen. In 1788, there were four Jewish butchers in Alt-Solingen in addition to nine Christian butchers. It can be assumed that the Christian residents also met their needs with Jewish butchers.
A traditional community had existed for some time, presumably even before 1718, when the first documented funeral was held. Such non-state-regulated congregations (Hebrew qahal) existed until the mid-nineteenth century. On February 16, 1846, the community adopted a statute. The Solingen Jewish Synagogue Community was constituted by the fact that, according to the determination of the men eligible to vote, the assembly of representatives was elected on September 20, 1853, and the executive committee on October 13, 1853. In 1857, the Jews of the administrative district of Solingen joined forces with the community of Alt-Solingen. The statute of the united community of the administrative district of Solingen was approved by the District Administrator on April 30, 1858.